POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Render time: ultrafine dxf-->tri vs. bicubic : Render time: ultrafine dxf-->tri vs. bicubic Server Time
4 Aug 2024 06:15:59 EDT (-0400)
  Render time: ultrafine dxf-->tri vs. bicubic
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 12 Jul 2003 16:02:53
Message: <3f10696d$1@news.povray.org>
I've finally decided to hunker down and do model some complex backgrounds.
In so doing, I'm considering which povray objects are the most efficient.

For example, I know making everything out of isosurfaces would be really
slow.   I'm assuming "modelled"  laboratory equipment then exported to
triangles would render much faster than asking povray to do the complex CSG.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out which renders & parses faster:
1) a bicubic patch
2) a really dense triangle mesh of the same object (Hamapatch export to
DXF).

Actually, I have two side questions about modellers:
i) I'm surprised at the limited number of triangles that show up in a
hamapatch export to DXF.  There's a setting of "4" subsurfaces: I'd have
liked to try 16 or more.  Any tips?

ii) Does POVLAB work with WinXP?   For about  a decade now, I've had trouble
getting the program to run at all....